Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Did the Pen Bleed for a Worthy Cause? (An English 11 exercise in publication)


There were quite a few things that I did for the publication,
And I must say, it's only just begun.


I made a copy for every teacher I know, and with it enclosed a personal thank-you note, so that it's not just all about spreading the poem around.
When I couldn't find the teachers personally, I just left a note on the doorknob.
Unsurprisingly, there were many positive responses to these notes, and I'm sure all of them have read and pondered the words enclosed within.


I also gave away some copies during lunch at Save-On-Foods, mostly by placing them at empty tables, but I'm sure they were appreciated by some people eating lunch there.

After School, once the people had cleared out, and I asked the custodians to keep everything in place...

And behold, this is where the real distribution begins. I mean it when I say "It's only just begun"




Common areas? Check


Student bulletins? Check


at every classroom entrance where it could stay on without tape? Check.
(We don't need to burden the tape anyhow)



...And of course, the obligatory Facebook post, but on a group with my fellow poets in this endeavor. As we can see, there's been quite a lot of attention given to this poem.

So what exactly is the poem in question that I'm making such a big fuss about? Well...

"What Shall the Pen Bleed For Now?"


The pen has bled
Because it is mightier than the sword,
And all the world has raised it up
For wealth and glory.

The pen bleeds now
Because the world turns
with the strokes of ink
Shifting across the page,
Turning inspiration to reality
Mystery to mastery.

The pen shall bleed forevermore
To commit words to eternity
In hopes that the sum of ink and paper
Will defeat the mightiest blade.

What shall the pen bleed for next?
Perchance as an engine of change
Perhaps as an instrument of death
When it writes with the ink of life.

The pen seems feeble before us now
Yet only before one feels the weight
Of the essence-stained paper.


... So, how successful will this have been?
At this rate, I can say without many doubts that I've reached a large proportion of the student population, as well as most of the staff. Maybe even some of the public will have heard about this.
This brings the grand total to around 750 to 800 people, if everything goes well.

Also, this won't be the end of this type of publishing. Hopefully we will have the start of a fruitful enterprise here with all of our poetic talents. It will be great to see more people coming to share their thoughts.



1 comment:

  1. I think the best part of this project was your notes to the teachers. We really liked that and needed that especially at this time of the year. Many teachers told me they couldn't read the signature though. lol. I let them know. They are very thankful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete